- I just bought and registered ripperd.com for the next 2 years...I will be doing some testing and reorganization, and obviously renaming things. It will take a few days though for changes to propagate. I will try my best not to break anything in the process. I will also make a re-direct hopefully that will redirect you to the new location of the file that you request, so that broken links will not be an issue.
DHS posted the following outage report, explaining the downtime.
"Services should all be back to normal. There was downtime since yesterday due to a fiber break upstream of our ISP and beyond our control." [http://www.dhs.org]
The migration to apache 2.0 seems to be complete, I think everything is working as it should. If you find something broken, please email me! The link can be found to the left.
- ripperd2.dhs.org has not been resolvable due to something at DHS International...
- Just felt like saying hi. Not doing much today, just a lazy Sunday, thought I'd just go through the site a little bit. I went and got my snowmobile from storage, so hopefully we get some SNOW!
- I have packet filtered a few users who were hammering my site. PLEASE ONLY USE A SINGLE THREAD WHEN USING A DOWNLOAD MANAGER! If you use more than that, you will suck bandwidth away from others, and I will be forced to deny you access. So, if you suddenly can't access my site from your main machine, but can from somwhere else, you got blacklisted. I have the server set for a total of 7-8 threads, so between 30KB/s, when all 7 are used, you still can get around 3-4KB/s per thread. But when someone uses a download manager and tries to suck my site dry, you are abusing my service. You WILL BE blacklisted, and I will most likely not remove the filter without alot of promises.
The following IP's are currently blacklisted:
- Its getting about time to do some updating around this site, so I was thinking of doing a bit of work on it. We'll see what I come up with, hopefully you'll see some good changes. A bit of it will be on the server side too, to make the site better organized for me.
- The Website was down most of the day, due to my provider. Here was their news message:
[08/06/2003 14:23 AuEST] We are finally back up. Due to our upstream provider's router dying our ISP lost connectivity. We apologize for the inconvenience this has caused. Everything should now be back to normal. -Menger
- Took pictures at a water-ski show. Quick link.
- Installed RAID system today. Had a lot of driver problems though. In order to free up a slot, I was going to go from a PCI VGA card to an AGP VGA card. But, I was having lots of trouble (lockups) with the new AGP card. That isn't good. So I ended up yanking the PCI Ethernet out, and replacing it with the trusty ISA Ethernet card, so the server is back to 10mbit on the local side :-(. Oh well, RAID mirroring is set-up, and went well. After I get the video card situation stabilized, watch the uptimes get high!
- I am re-encoding most of the videos on this site, for higher quality. I found out a couple things I did wrong when I first encoded them, so the ones that I know will be better will be re-done. This will be most of them. The files will also get slightly smaller as a side effect. I'll post another news article once they are in place. Ok, nm, they are updated now. Went quicker than I thought!
- May Statistics:
Total hits: 55,154 Total page views: 12,814 Total bytes transferred: 3,042.19 MB Average hits per day: 1779 Average page views per day: 413 Average bytes transferred per day: 98.14 MB
- These stats are slightly skewed (ok, very skewed!) due to my mirror of alt.binaries.radio-control. Approximately 20,000 of the hits are due to that, along with 6,000 page views, and 1,200 MB of the transfer... Obviously my mirror is pretty popular :-)
- Haha, look at this. The scientist can't make up his mind!(google news)
- Holy freaking hard-disk errors batman! Woke up this morning to a BSOD on the server, and rebooted, only to have the server not recognize the hard disk. I shut her down, and turned her back on, and got half-way into booting windows, and KA-CHUNK. You know, the sound of a hard disk crashing? Well, it was hectic, but about 14 hours later we have a working system again. Looks like she stopped serving at 6:45 this morning, and she is now up at around 9:30 PM, so that is the most downtime in a long time for me. UGH. It would have been a lot quicker, but I worked from 9-4, so I couldn't work on the server then. Anyway, hope I didn't cause too much trouble ;-)
- I got bored with the previous colors. I changed the entire color scheme of the site. It definitely is different with the white background, but I'll feel it out.
5/4/2003 - April Statistics
Total hits: 81,208 Total page views: 16,152 Total bytes transferred: 2,968.00 MB Average hits per day: 2,706 Average page views per day: 538 Average bytes transferred per day: 98.93 MB
- These stats are slightly skewed (ok, very skewed!) due to my mirror of alt.binaries.radio-control. Approximately 40,000 of the hits are due to that, along with 11,000 page views, and 1,700 MB of the transfer... Obviously my mirror is pretty popular :-)
- Did some coding on ripcalc.exe, just a few minutes, and fixed the bugs that existed. Now handles errors gracefully.
- Havn't added anything in a while. Decided to play with the car for a bit, and brought the video cam outside with me. Click on video to the left for it!
- Added a programs section, since I'm learning a little bit about coding, and making some simple programs.
- I have a friend with a sled he wants to sell. It's a deal! If you live in the MPLS/ST Paul area, or are willing to come pick it up, there is info here! it's a nice 99 ZR500.
- About an hour downtime Sunday night/early Monday morning. I replaced the 3.2GB hard drive in the server with a 10GB fireball... It's quieter, bigger, and faster. Hopefully will be more reliable (the western digital I haven't had a single problem with, but it was loud and slow!). So, no space problems anymore.
- Put in a forum, check it out! I can answer questions, and take suggestions, or just general chit-chat, I don't care!
- Updated the links page, to some places I visit often... Check them out!
- Decided to fix a lot of the broken links, and add some content.
- Boo! It's Halloween, and put up pictures of me visiting a friend in Iowa at college. it's here.
- Site went to / (root), so went live. To visit the old site, hit the upper right link.
- Re-did entire site, a easier to use, more intuitive format, hopefully I don't break anything in the process. It hadn't been updated in a long time, so figured it was about time!